Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  January 20, 2014 2:00pm-3:01pm PST

2:00 pm
carl could go anywhere to talk about this rage. he decided he wanted to come on fbn to really vent, and why not? where else are you going to get more bang for your buck that talking on the effort that's all about your buck, fbn. see you in three hours. >> i'm dana perino along with andrea tantaros, bob beckel, e.g. e. eric bolling and greg gutfield. it's 5:00 in new york city, and this is "the five." tonight, a string of new provocative comments from president obama in a 17,000 word profile piece in new yorker magazine. the president talked about race, marijuana, terror, and more. we begin with the race remarks. the president's poll numbers have been in freefall since his re-election, especially with white voters. he has a theory as to why. he said, quote, there are no doubt there are some folks who really dislike me because they don't like the idea of a black president. now the flipside is there are
2:01 pm
some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because i'm a black president. we're going to start with those remarks, and greg, yesterday, when the article came out, the first part of that quote got a lot of attention on twitter with people getting very frustrated that the president was bringing up race relations, but on balance, when i read it, i thought he was probably making a fairly fair point. >> i guess so. i think the question is, does this belief that he has translate into action or some kind of a punishment targeting specifically a group of people? and i don't think it does, because the great unifying force of president obama is that his failures know no pigment. he screwed all of us equally. >> there is that. eric, i was going to ask you about the statistics because the president's approval rating is at 40%, which means it can't just be white people that are disapproving of the policies or of the president's fifth year as president, right?
2:02 pm
>> got to 40%, did he? >> yeah. >> i downloaded this. 34 pages. i spent an hour and a half. >> think of the trees. >> i spent an hour and a half reading it. can i go through a couple things. the editor of the new yorker spends a long time at the beginning talking about president obama on air force one, the fat lip he got playing basketball. not relating to to obamacare, the irs, the scandals. kind of eludes to it, then gets into the bombshells, the pot discussion, the reason why his approval rating is he may or may not be black and people may or may not be concerned with that. for me, towards the end, he did something that was really, really kind of weird. he outlines how president obama spent a lot of time in fund-raisers on the west coast, the celebrity fund-raisers, magic johnson, all the people from dreamworks, and then goes into this president obama and income inequality. remnick, if he had any guts as a
2:03 pm
journalist said why would you talk about income inequality on the heels of the celebrity fund-raisers. he never equates the two and ends with this big, washy wet kiss. >> the legacy. >> and bear hugs him. i wasted an hour and a half. >> one thing that wasn't even asked in the piece or maybe it was asked and not included was anything about the long-term unemployed and the job situation in america and wouldn't that have more to do with the president's approval numbers than racism? >> yeah, but a couple things. let me respond to what eric said. you go where rich people are to raise money, number one. i don't equate that with income inequality. look at it this way. obama had almost 40%, 45% of the white vote in the first election against mccain, who got 45%. he then fell back into the upper 30s versus romney. so i think that the fall off for
2:04 pm
him had already begun among white voters prior to his reelection. the other thing is that what he did say here was the obvious, that there are some people who don't like him because he's black. that's been obvious, but more obysh, i think to the point, he finally owned up to the fact that people vote for me because i'm black, and a lot of blacks vote for me because i am black. that's right, and i'm finally he said it. >> he seems to be doing a lot of introspection in the second term. he's a young man, so he's going to have a long period after the presidency. it's interesting to me, somehow he manages to insult others even while he's propping himself up. you're not really sure about it. let me read this part on page 3. i have no desire to be one of those presidents who are just on the list. you see their pictures lined up on the wall. i want to make a difference. i was having a hard time thinking of any president wanting to go there and do small things. >> so easy to win the white house, so they're typically
2:05 pm
underachievers who get elected. >> i guess. >> that was pretty silly. i was wondering who he was referring to. i agree with you. i was surprised to hear him actually say the second piece of the quote. i think the second piece is probably more relevant. what i don't understand is every time he's asked about his approval rating, he doesn't own up to the difficulties in obamacare. be honest. be intellectually honest. he goes to the race piece out of the gate. if you look at the poll numbers, they stayed fairly buoyant even after his second election with white voter. we were trying to figure out how he defies logic by keeping them so high. it wasn't until the irs scandal that those numbers started to tick down. that, i think, was the beginning of the end. it has nothing to do with race. but the fact that he always goes there makes me believe that's all he believes it is. that it couldn't possibly be his own failings.
2:06 pm
>> could i add to that? most people who are upset with the president due to his ideology are also upset his ideology was overshadowed and protected by his race, which is then being construed as racism. but the fact is, being the first black president drowned out being the most left-wing president ever. that is what was, i guess, more disturbing, but is mistaken for an obsession with race when it really isn't. it's more about, look, this guy is progressive. i don't care about his pigment. >> i also feel -- >> what makes him such a leftist? for those of us on the left, he's not that left. >> taxes. >> bailouts. taxes. >> republicans and democrats -- >> palling around with the terrorists. i'll never forhiv him for that. >> we're going to spread the wealth around. we're going to bankrupt the coal industry. other than that -- >> pipeline. >> global warming. >> i think the racism piece shuts down discussion. if you're called a racist, it's really hurtful, so if you
2:07 pm
actually disagree with the nationalization of health care, and you're called a racist, then you tend to maybe keep your mouth shut. >> it doesn't help him. >> i agree. >> is that why you're wearing white? >> because i'm a racist? that's why i wear white on mondays? thanks for noticing. i want to go to a topic that had a lot of parents thinking through what the president said. this is about marijuana, the legal zashz of it. here's a quote. as has been well documented, i spoked pot as a kid cand i view it as a bad habit and a vice. not very different from the cigarettes i spoke as a young person. i don't think it's more dangerous than alcohol. he adds in that piece as well that people who think legalizing marijuana is going to solve a lot of problems are probably wrong as well. but the piece that got picked up out of the long article like this is that pot is not as dangerous as alcohol. what do you think as a dad? does that bother you?
2:08 pm
>> i wasn't concerned with that. in fact, that was probably the most honest part of that section. i found everyone is talking about what president obama said, pot is less dangerous because remnick also asked him, less dangerous? he clarified, yes, pot is less dangerous. great, that's how you feel, fantastic. my problem came later. regarding malia and sasha, he tells them it's a waste of time. okay, but then he goes in and he plays the race card again. he goes and says my biggest problem with pot is that minorities are being arrested and incarcerated at a higher rate than whites. and for whatever reason, not because minorities tend to be at the lower end of the income area and maybe, you know, using pot and things like that, illegal drugs on the street versus inside where someone with more money may be doing it, but more almost along the lines of, well, police are targeting blacks, which isn't the case? >> the cystics spe s statistic
2:09 pm
for themselves. blacks get more arrested for pot than whites. but my problem was he said blacks get arrested for marijuana, but middle class white kids don't. he's wrong. i had a middle class white kid who did. >> i appreciate you. >> it wasn't him, it was me. >> is he right on the science of it, that pot is less dangerous than alcohol? >> look, i don't have the studies in front of me, but the fact remains, you cannot ban something simply because it carries a risk. because then you're going to have to ban snowboarding, ban skydiving, and construction work. there are 27 people who died during the building of the brooklyn bridge. 27 more, i bet, during that time that died from pot. you're more likely to die from tightening a joint than smoking one. >> i like that. >> it's true, though, in excess, neither one of them are a good idea. you know, alcohol, i don't know what's considered more dangerous. i consider alcohol extremely dangerous. >> more people do it. more people drink. >> but excess use of marijuana,
2:10 pm
daily use of it, does tend to lead to harder drugs, i believe that. >> do you believe that the democrats might try to run on legalization of marijuana in certain states as part of 2014 or even in 2016 referendum election strategy? >> think some might. not all. it's still a little too risky for somebody to make that a campaign, but i bet the question comes up a lot more than it did before, especially with the president weighing in on this, but i agree with him on this quote. >> i wanted to get your take on one other thing. we have two minutes left, and i have one other one. this is on president obama's discussion about al qaeda's resurgence. he says here in the article, the analogy we use around here sometimes is if a jv team puts on lakers uniforms, it doesn't make them kobe bryant. there's a distinction between the capacity of a bin laden and a network that is actively planning terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists
2:11 pm
involved in local power struggles and disputes. i wonder about the responsibility he felt on january 20th, 2009, or he feels now about the evolution and changes in al qaeda over the past five years. >> well, we know in past, he said al qaeda has been decimated and they're on the run, so i don't think he's really grounded in reality when he speaks about the terrorist threat. i thought this quote was probably the most naive of the entire piece. i have compared al qaeda with jerseys actually in the past, and yeah, if you put on a jersey, it doesn't make you kobe bryant, but it's a lot easier these days to blow people up from your home and get radicalized from your computer than it is to dunk or shoot a three pointer. that's what people are doing. they're becoming radicalized. it's not the traditional cells your former boss had to deal with. anybody can be radicalized. just look at the people in boston. you said this, dana, before we went live. he's basically saying the terrorists now aren't as good as they were before. again, tell that to the people
2:12 pm
in london or boston. >> that's partly because we're better at tracking. >> also, they're not as organized. he's right about this on one hand, this is not the organized al qaeda responsible for 9/11. this is a disparate group of bands who acquire the name of al qaeda. but i'll say this, the one thing i disagree with is, an ak-47 in the hands of an organized person who is a terrorist, as opposed to an organized one, still does devastation. >> you said what president obama said in the piece, you have to distinguish between al qaeda and another group. it may not be sufficienticated, but i say, what is the difference? if he's holding an ak or a grenade and he's going to lob it over the embassy call. who cares? >> organized al qaeda is decimated. >> aren't we playing word games? even if there is a certain amount of desmashz going on in the al qaeda hat difference does it make at this
2:13 pm
point if there are other terrorist groups that are trying to be like al qaeda and killing americans? same thing. >> i agree with you about that, but they're not as organized. >> they're reaching into different areas. >> they're giving me extra time, like in soccer, if you get penalty time. okay, andrew cuomo, who is the governor of new york, has some interesting comments. i would say almost like partisan cleansing about conservatives or extremists, he calls conservatives, in new york state. listen to this. >> their problem is not me and the democrats. their problem is themselves. who are they? are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault weapon, anti-gay. is that who they are? because if that's who they are, and if they are the extreme conservatives, they are no place in the state of new york.
2:14 pm
because that's not who new yorkers are. >> so that was strange comments coming from someone who has been putting his toe in the water to see about a possible presidential run. what do you think? >> i think that was a direct shot and smack at a man named rob who is a rising star in the republican party, a current county executive who is pro life. i also think he wants to stake out that left flank if he is going to run for office so he can say look, i'm more left than maybe hillary clinton or others, but look at his policies in new york. he believes in abortion at any point, even a minute before you're about to give birth. only 17% of new yorkers actually agree with him on that. so is he saying that that point isn't extreme and these extreme points are the only ones that are allowed in the state of new york? i don't think he makes a lot of sense. he's not really looking at the numbers in new york. 76% favor parental notification. 35% call them pro life, so this was a political comment. it's not going to help him going
2:15 pm
forward. >> i wonder if he was giving an invitation to conservatives to leave new york. >> i think de blasio gave him progressive rabies. he had just become mayor. nobody calls out the extreme left. and there are those in his own state who coddle terrorists, if you want to google the speaker of the new york city council. that somehow is not as bad as being pro life. it's a triumph of the pro-abortion movement that they have been able to relegate a fetus to a tumor status. and i don't know. i guess it's because fetuses don't vote. >> it's amazing how eerie how he sounds like his father. >> not as smart. >> just amazing. >> do you think it hurts him blitically? >> what cuomo has is a case of new york cititis. there's a huge conservative population in new york that
2:16 pm
doesn't live in manhattan or the five boweroroughs, further up s, who will probably take him to task. he's already walked it back and he'll have to walk it back on a substantial level. outside new york city, you could claim, new york could be a red state. >> have you been to staten island lately? >> i'm saying outside of new york city -- >> i thought you said the five boroughs. >> outside of the five boroughs, it's a big state. >> this is true. and there is a storm coming that is going to test everybody's ability to keep it together. >> is that a metaphor? >> i'm looking for a way to transition into this, which is ahead, the winter olympics in sochi, russia, are three weeks away, and concerns over security are growing. we'll tell you about that. >> plus, we'll weigh in on the firestorm brewing over controversial remarks made by the bachelor of all people. it's coming up on "the five."
2:17 pm
wow, this hotel is amazing. sfloo who are you? who are you? wrong answer. wait, daddy, this is blair, he booked this room with priceline express deals and saved a ton. yeah, i didn't have to bid i got everything i wanted. oh good i always do. oh good he seemed nice. express deals. priceline savings without the bidding. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. everybody knows that parker. well, did you know auctioneers make bad grocery store clerks? that'll be $23.50. now .75, 23.75, hold 'em. hey now do i hear 23.75? 24! hey 24 dollar, 24 and a quarter, quarter, now half, 24 and a half and .75! 25! now a quarter, hey 26 and a quarter, do you wanna pay now, you wanna do it, 25 and a quarter - sold to the man in the khaki jacket! geico. fifteen minutes could save you... well, you know.
2:18 pm
and our giant idaho potato truck is still missing. so my dog and i we're going to go find it. it's out there somewhere spreading the good word about idaho potatoes and raising money for meals on wheels. but we'd really like our truck back, so if you see it, let us know, would you? thanks. what?
2:19 pm
2:20 pm
you asked for it, we delivered. the fastest seven minutes in news. three bewitching stories. seven brisk minutes. one buoyant host.
2:21 pm
first up, definitely blame this video. russian terrorists threatening the sochi olympics. the threat delivered via this video. the terrorists claim there may be as many as four black widow suicide bombers in place waiting for the february 7th commencement of the games. president putin put his shirt on and told abc -- >> translator: the job of the olympic host is to insure security of the athletes and visitors. we will do whatever it takes. >> all right, so i'm not sure -- look, terrorists can attack anywhere at anytime. >> i think every time the olympics is coming up, that security concerns are overhyped. i'm not saying they shouldn't take these things seriously, but at the greece olympics, there was all these concerns about security, and they did a fine job. they were okay. and i would bet that president putin, with all of his power and all of his reputation on the line, that might actually be the safest place to be in the world, to have the olympics.
2:22 pm
>> he said somewhere from 40 to 130,000 security people. >> i don't think it's going to happen at the olympics. i think it's going to happen somewhere else because there's a lot of roads you have to drive. terrorists are batman villains. you had the penguin and the joker. there are batman villains without the imagination or good humor. that's the unifying effect terrorists have on all powers, whether you agree with putin or not. it's civilization verses the crazies. >> do you change your behavior? not get on a bus in sochi? what do you do? >> if someone said you could go to sochi and we could get you tickets, i probably wouldn't go. just being honest, but i don't think they should if they're there. i agree with you. his ego is so big, putin, there's no way he's going to let the terrorists puck it up for him. he's the one who tipped us off about the tsarnaev brothers. they have been dealing with the radicalization of areas like dagestan and chechnya for a long
2:23 pm
time. he's not going to let anything happen. >> my thought about it is you're right in the middle of a hotbed of terrorism, the chechens who are not far away. beyond that, i'm worried about some of the muslim countries, he we go again, bringing in the athletes. i'm not going to be at all persuaded, i would look carefully, or the iranian delegation, i would check their bags. >> do you have intel? >> check the bags of the athletes? okay, next up, to show my wife and the female producers on "the five" seem to love the bachelor. generating some buzz. juan pablo sparking controversy with this comment. >> you think it would be a good idea at some point to have a gi or bisexual bachelor? >> no. >> why not? >> just because i respect them, but honestly, i don't think it's a good example for kids to watch that on tv. and there's a thing about gay people. they're more pervert in a sense.
2:24 pm
and to me, this show would be too strong, too hard to watch on tv. >> well, immediately, jp walked that back, saying, i want to apologize to all of the people i may have offended. the word pervert is not what i wanted to say. everyone knows english is my second vocabulary and is not as broad as it is in spanish. >> what was the word he wanted to say? >> the guy had an opportunity to say one thing. for me, i don't agree with it. shut up after that. the fact of the matter was it was an anti-gay rant. he can say whatever he wants to walk it back. he can't because he's a homophobe. >> i love juan pablo. i do. i watch the bachelor, and i felt sorry for him when he got this question because that's probably not the word he wanted to use. i think he was looking for promiscuous and it might not be good because juan pablo, i have seen previews. you get into a hot talk and do
2:25 pm
bad things that kids shouldn't watch. >> you think he's hot? >> i think he's cute. i love watching the women cry. >> if he said promiscuous, that might be offensive as well. >> the topic of discussion among gays when there's a parade that will occur in new york or san francisco, is a perception of extroverted behavior about gays. he might have been talking about that. who knows what he was talking about? i have a feeling he may have been talking about more the extroverted displays of behavior, which raises a question i wonder. do gays want to be as boring as straights. the outlier, outlaw status, keep the equality, is also alluring and also fun and maybe they should say, yes, so what? but finally, what he said was impulsive. it wasn't malicious. it wasn't planned. there is a difference between those two things. >> and dana, clearly english is not his first language. cut him slack? >> the language of love knows no
2:26 pm
words. i have a question. why does he have to be on the bachelor? presumably, he could get a woman. i don't understand. does he have that hard a time finding a woman? >> have you seen the previews? >> all in one spot. >> they're moving me along. jimmy fallon earned a spot. he announced who his first guest will be when he takes over for jay leno. here is classic fallen slow jamming the news. >> now is not the time to make school more expensive for our young people. >> oh, yeah. you should listen to the president. or as i like to call him, the pre, zy of the united seezy. >> thoughts? >> i have no thoughts on this. i don't follow the late night controversies or anything.
2:27 pm
>> i follow it on twitter and facebook, and that's how i catch them. i think they do a good job of melding social media and their shows. >> will smith and u2, the musical gift. >> he's fun. that's good. >> quick thought on this? >> yawn. >> really? >> i watch chelsea handler and i watch jimmy kimmel. >> you know what, big fan here. >> you like him? >> i like fallen. i like jay leno, too. >> he does good impersonations. >> you thought the healthcare.gov website was fixed? think again. an eye-opening warning about how dangerous the win site still is when "the five" comes back. [ male announcer ] hands were made for playing. legs, for crossing. feet...splashing.
2:28 pm
better things than the joint pain and swelling of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. if you're trying to ma, now may be time to ask about xeljanz. xeljz (tofacitinib) is a small pill, not an injection or infusion, for adults with moderate to severe ra for whom methotrexate did not work well. xeljanz can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. seris, sometimes fatal infections and cancers have happened in patients taking xeljanz. don't start xeljanz if you have any infection, unless ok with your doctor. tears in the stomach or intestines, low bod cell counts and higher liver tes and cholesterol levels have happened. your doctor should perform blood tts before you start and while taking xeljanz, and roinely check certain liver tests. tell your doctor if you have been to a region where certain fungal infections are common, and if you have had tb, hepatitis b oc, or are prone to infections. tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, and if you are pregnant, or plan to be. taken twice daily, xeljanz can reduce the joint pain and swelling
2:29 pm
of moderate to severe ra, even without methotrexate. ask if xeljanz is right for you.
2:30 pm
2:31 pm
2:32 pm
obamacare is a giant misery potato. massive failure you can create 1,000 horrible meals from. the latest, a top hacker revealed you can break into the obamacare website in mere minutes. a warning to all who use it. even the security sucks, no surprise. obamacare has created more disasters than erwin allen. nobody remembers him. how ironic that something that should enhance your health puts it at risk. if smoking comes with a warning, why shouldn't obamacare. president doesn't want his son playing football. none of us want our sons on obamacare. i bet even pajama boy's mom is worried sick over him. we hear democrats say this is why we need a single payer system. meaning this is so bad it should only be forced on those who can't say no. it makes the emergency room look like the ritz-carlton. while they rail on about income inequality, they'll force 99% on to the plans while the rich will
2:33 pm
get conseage medicine. only the very rich can afford to aunt o opt out. a communist diplomat never lived life as a communist. he still got the best medicine available while advocating a system that provides none to the miserable population. it's a system abandoned by countries after decades of suffering, yet the white house sees that as the good old days. before i go to you, andrea, i want to play this sound on tape of the hacker david kennedy talking about the website insecurity. >> i don't understand how we're still discussing whether or not the website is insecure or not. it is. there's no question about that. >> it is insecure? >> absolutely. 100%. >> now, andrea, i stole your metaphor, comparing -- thank you, about how he feels football dangerous but this isn't. with this news, would you want your medical records in the care
2:34 pm
of the government? >> absolutely not, but isn't this the goal all along? liberals have always wanted to get their paws over our health records, because then they can control us. they can control costs. it's definitely not a secure website. if you look at the questions you have to answer. salary information, social security number, yeah, this is -- i don't think we have seen the worst of this yet. and it's really hurting people who aren't completely poor because they can go on medicaid. you're seeing those enrollments pick up. it's the people who are making $30,000, $40,000, who aren't eligible for the sebicidies who are going to end up not getting health coverage because they don't want to pay the increased premiums. the people he said he was going to help, this does the opposite. >> let me take exception when you say lousy plans. the lousy plans were before obamacare. they may cost way too much, but they're much better. they have pre-existing conditions, all kinds of things that the insurance plans that were out there before for middle and lower income people were terrible. >> i can take maternity leave
2:35 pm
now, bob. i'm so excited. i can't wait to get pregnant. >> if they were so lousy before, why did jay carney want to reinstate them? >> we had to have something as a bridge. something for a bridge. 6.5 million people who don't have plans of now, but those plans on obamacare, by the way, from the capitalist system, from the insurance companies who have the plans on their computers, everything about them. if you want to trust them, that's fine, but i would just say this, i don't see how anything is lousy about the plans that are being offered versus what was offered before. >> i want to go to eric. doesn't it show you have to have a vested interest in a project? if obamacare was a company, the stock holders would be furious. >> they would throw them out, fire them. this interview is fascinating on fox news sunday. this guy, david kennedy, tells it took him four minutes. he didn't even break in. he kind of opened -- the analogy he used, if a car was sitting there, he just opened the door. he didn't take anything out. he looked at 70,000 files.
2:36 pm
he had access to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of files within four minutes. he said the reason why was the thing was slapped together so quickly that no one figured out a way to put security on at all. he said it's an absolute swiss cheese of insecurity on all of our information. it can be fixed, but there are millions of people with their information on there right now. >> bad news. >> dana, the thing that drives me nuts is you have extremely rich liberals selfish in the notion they can push this, yet they never have to use it. >> the same with the tax policy. basically, if you know you're going to be able to fund the doctor of your choice, then you can be altruistic and say everyone else should fund things like medicaid. medicaid is a necessary thing in america, but it is really -- it needs a major overhaul. >> you know what needs a major overhaul? richard simmons. richard simmons actually recently came out in favor of obamacare and did a little dance to get people to sign up. and we're going to show it to you.
2:37 pm
>> they're saying be responsible about your health insurance options. get covered. get covered. >> all right. >> all copyrighted movements. >> thank god he has health insurance because he's really breaking down the house. >> that may be the only thing that matches obamacare in absolute disgustingness. >> waste of money. >> wasted money. i don't know who paid for that. >> covered california. >> and the target audience is younger people. >> speak for yourself. it made me want to sign up. >> keep throwing your hats on this. you want it to fail. it ain't going to fail. >> next on "the five," seattle's corner back wins the game and loses his mind. we'll show you the tape as we take you on the road to something called the super bowl
2:38 pm
xlviii. what's that? i don't know. >> the number. [ female announcer ] season after season, no matter the occasion... your home's the place everyone gathers. so be ady with a stouffer's lasagna. it's the mouthwatering recipe that keeps them coming back. stouer's. madeith care for your family. i dbefore i dosearch any projects on my home. i love my contractor, and i am so thankful to angie's list for bringing us together. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. afghanistan, in 2009. orbiting the moon in 1971. [ male announcer ] once it's earned, usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protecon. and because usaa'commitment to serve current and former military members andheir families is without equal. begin your legacy.
2:39 pm
get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
2:40 pm
2:41 pm
as a police officer, i've helped many people in the last 23 years, but i needed help in quitting smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix varenline is pron to help peop quit smoking. chantix reduced the urge for me to smoke. it actually caught me by surprise. [ male announcer ] some people had changes in behavior, thinking, or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood, and suicidal thoughts or actions while taking or after opping chantix. ifou notice any of these, stop chaix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of mental-health problems, which could get worse whe taking chantix. don't ke chantix if youe d a serious allergi or skin reaction to it. if you develop these, stop chantix and see your doctor right away, as some can be life-threatening. tell your doctor if you ha a history of heart or blood-vessel proble or if you develop new worse symptoms. get medicalelp right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack or stroke. use caution when driving or operating machinery. comm side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping, and unusual dreams. i did not know what it was like to be a nonsmoker,
2:42 pm
but i do now. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you. yesterday's nfl action set the stage for super bowl sunday as the denver broncos and seattle he socks were victorious. they will play for the lombardi trophy at met life stadium in new jersey in less than two weeks. while the games provided plenty of highlights, it was a post game interview that provided lots of highlights. watch richard sherman's explosive response to a question about the final play of the game. >> final play, take me through it. >> well, i'm the best corner in the game. when you supply me with a sorry receiver like crabtree, that's the results you're going to get. don't you ever talk about me. >> who was talking about you? >> crabtree. don't you open your mouth about the best.
2:43 pm
or i'm going to shut it for you real quick. >> wow. before we react to that, "the five" will be live from times square in super bowl boulevard next friday, so tune in or set your dvr. what do you think? he was very fired up after the final play. he gave an interview today. he said i have a long history with this guy that goes back. you could ask crabtree about it. should he have gone off? >> first, he's not the best corner number two, when you win something like this, he's a very good corner back. let your play speak for itself. you don't have to shoot your mouth off. at the time of a victorious time for your team. he has no class. they should have said to him before the game, don't open your big mouth because all it does is get you in trouble. >> what your failed to mention was that michael crabtree, who was the wide receiver that he defended on that last play of the game, could have been a winning drive, could have been a winning catch for the 49ers. he did block it, he did make the great defensive play. the two of them had been going at it all week.
2:44 pm
crabtree was saying what you're saying, he's not the best in the league. by the way, he is the best in the league. the best corner by far in the league. he had bragging rights, he took them. there was a fight after the game, sherman went up to crabtree, he took his hand, pushed it in his face. >> helmet should have gotten to his face. >> richard sherman, stanford grad, like near the top of his class. >> and this was a little bit personal as well. so remember, he played for stanford, so he used to be coached by harbaugh, the coach for the 49ers. dana, the was personal. harbaugh would not give sherman a recommendation when he went to the nfl. he kind of screwed the guy over. sherman says, look, i'm not getting any action the entire game, no action, they threw that ball, i think, to him at the end to mess with him. to show, let's see if he can do it, if he's weak. he was fired up because he thought, yeah, i did it. you tested me, watch that. >> that's espn level analysis. i have no idea what happened in
2:45 pm
the play because i was in bed, but i did watch the interview. i have to say something. at least it wasn't as boring at the interviews they usually get after the game. it's like they all have the exact same talking points. a team effort, it was good. i'm proud, thank you. at least he gave us some insight into who this guy is. >> yeah, gave you a lot of insight into who he is. >> do we have time for the bay list? he's gone off on espn skip bayless before. watch this. >> i think i have accomplished more in my field than you have in yours, though you're just getting started? >> i'm the top of my field, all pro, one of the best 22 players in the nfl. you're going to brush it off, but i don't think you're the best 22 anything, in sports, in media, in anything. >> that's debatable. >> i think you think more of yourself than you actually can prove. >> okay, you think you're better than rivas is right now? >> in my 24 years of life, i'm better at life than you. >> whoa. >> i have to say, that's a
2:46 pm
brutal insult, but it's sad because the guy is experiencing immense success, but his angry personality refused to let him enjoy it. you can be arrogant asmart. you can be dumb and humble, but you can't be arrogant and dumb because you are no help to anyone. >> he went fifth round draft pick. he has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. if you know what they get paid, i would be mad, too. >> he's a bright guy. >> coming up on this day in which we honor martin luther king, you're going to hear audio of the civil rights leader you have never heard before. a new unearthed tape of mlk talking about jfk, directly ahead. you know, other countries have couches exactly like yours.
2:47 pm
2:48 pm
well, not exactly like yours.
2:49 pm
2:50 pm
>> i have a dream that one day this nation will rise up, live out the true meaning of this dream. we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. >> what a great, great man. on this day of remembrance of dr. martin luther king, a new tape has been unearthed of the civil rights leader.
2:51 pm
it was discovered in an attic in tennessee several years ago, but the portion you're about to hear is only now being made public. he's discussing jfk's role in helping get him released from a prison in 1960. >> now, it is true that senator kennedy did take a specific step. he was in contact with officials in georgia during my arrest and he called my wife, made a personal call, and expressed his concern and said to her that he was working and trying to do something to make my release possible. >> if i could add a brief thought here. senator kennedy was not strongly an advocate of dr. king and the civil rights movement in 1960 because he was worried about southern democratic votes. it was bobby kennedy, in fact, who convinced him to make the phone call. kennedy himself was very reluctant to move on civil rights legislation early on
2:52 pm
until it dawned on him it was the right thing to do. so dr. king was less than enthusiastic about jfk in this tape, and i think for a good reason. eric? >> it's fascinating. your passion is palpable. your father was there. your father was there. >> at the i had a dream speech. he worked with dr. king. he was with him the day he got killed in memphis. >> i think the tape we just heard, that was just released, shows how gracious he was in making sure -- i don't know that it was he didn't want kennedy to get as much credit or he was going the extra mile to make sure everybody shared in the credit. >> what is missing from the tape is where he goes into a long series of people who helped him in the release. greg, any thoughts? >> every year we do this, i say the same thing. it would be nice to have more leaders like that than we have now, and i think more of them are coming from the right than the left. >> andrea? >> i think it was probably a mix of both. i mean, i don't pretend to know what was in his mind, but i
2:53 pm
think he probably knows there were a lot of people that were behind him. but the more i read about this, it was the entire kennedy family, including bobby, that was against the freedom riders and very oppositional to the civil rights movement. if i'm dr. king and i have seen what happened to blacks and how the kennedy family has been worried about political support from democrats and not civil rights, i wouldn't be inclined to thank him either. >> i wouldn't say they were against -- they were looking ahead to the '64 race when bobby was attorney general. they needed the conservative voters there. all right, we'll miss him very much. greg is right, that kind of leadership in the black community, we only wish we had one or two more like him. "one more thing" is up next.
2:54 pm
2:55 pm
2:56 pm
2:57 pm
time for "one more thing." just for that, bob gets to go first. >> in spring texas nrth of houston, a kid by the name of dylan was having to go out and do public humiliation because he cussed at his teacher, on a very busy highway. this is one of many instances we have heard of kids being humiliated publicly. i think it's a horrible idea, and not putting them out in the middle of a road like that. >> that could be a good topic. all right, eric. >> midterm elections coming up. that doesn't bode well for democrats. our favorite crack smoking mayor, 47% approval rating,
2:58 pm
according to the toronto sun, and our own president obama, 40%. thank you. >> i love super mexican. >> he's awesome. >> great. greg, you're next. >> so this is amazing news that we should have led with, frankly, and i'm disgusted we did. it appears there might be life on mars and it appears to look like a jelly doughnut. it appears in front of the opportunity rover. you could have waited, but that's okay. actually, that's not it. that's it. >> i think this is dumb. it's a rock. >> no, they don't know what it is, but what happens in my view if martians turn out to be actual delicious jelly doughnuts. what do we do as a moral culture? can we eat martians? we already eat earthlings, why can't we eat martians? what if they can talk? >> does that look like a latrine? >> like a chocolate glazed
2:59 pm
dopet. >> we're talking about this for an hour. >> i'm told repeatedly andrea is next. andrea is next. >> did you hear peyton manning last night yell out this? >> omaha! omaha! >> well, that is because eight omaha companies combined to pay $800 each for manning's payback foundation every time he yelled omaha. so he raised about $24,000 for charity by yelling out omaha. >> that's why? >> that's why. so now you know why? >> i thought it was his safe word. >> how do you know about safe words? >> i don't know. >> what is your safe word? >> jasper. >> you have to get eric in here. >> i'm in, i'm done. >> your safe word is ambrosia salad. or is it more? >> i'm going to skip my one more thing. i'll do it tomorrow. don't forget to set your dvrs so you never miss an episode of "the five." we'll see you tomorrow.
3:00 pm
"special report" is next. this is a fox news alert. i'm bret baier. iran in the news on two fronts. this is the first day of the islamic republic's new nuclear deal with the west. and late this afternoon, the united nations withdrew its invitation to iran to participate in this week's syria peace talks in geneva. the offer sparked outrage among the syrian opposition and the u.s., leading to a last-minute withdrawal. that's seen as an effort to salvage the talks. bashar al assad met with his delegation for the conference. iran said it wouldn't agree with a

64 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on